Spaghetti Aglio e Olio (Garlic & Olive Oil)
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio (Garlic &Olive Oil) is a traditional Italian pasta dish of roasted garlic, olive oil, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Light, fresh, and packed with garlic- and chili-infused flavor, this simple dish never disappoints.
Garlic & Olive Oil
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 cloves Garlic, sliced
- ⅔ cup Olive Oil (OO)
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- TYL* Salt & Pepper (S&P), *to your liking
- ½ cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 ½ cups Reserved Pasta Water
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 lb Spaghetti (GF: gluten-free spaghetti)
- ½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano (V: dairy-free parmesan), shredded
- ½ tbsp Olive Oil (OO)
- ½ cup Unseasoned Panko Breadcrumbs (GF: gluten-free panko)
(P.S. Use this as a checklist!)
Toast panko breadcrumbs.Bring 4-5 qt. water to boil. Heat 1/2 tbsp. OO in small skillet over med-high until HOT. Add breadcrumbs and cook for 2-4 min. while stirring, until golden brown and toasted. Remove from heat and set aside. Prepare garlic and olive oil infusion.Now, mince n' slice garlic (combo!) and chop parsley. Combine OO, garlic, and red pepper in small skillet and toast over low heat for 8-10 min., until garlic is golden brown. Stir every few min. Meanwhile, add 1 tbsp. salt and spaghetti to boiling water and cook until al dente. Let's spaghett' it all together!Strain spaghetti and reserve 1 ½ cups of pasta water. Remove garlic and OO from heat and add parsley, ⅔ cup reserved pasta water, and S&P. Now, combine with spaghetti and half of shredded Parmigiano Reggiano. If it looks a bit dry, add more reserved pasta water in ¼ cup increments as needed. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of toasted breadcrumbs and Parmigiano Reggiano (and maybe mouth wash on the side for that garlic breath!).
Notes & Tips
- Make it a main course! Want an easy way to complete this meal? Add a protein to your pasta, like: crumbled or sliced sausage (cheese + parsley is my favorite for this dish!), grilled and sliced chicken, or simple seared scallops.